Monday, December 22, 2008

another update

I sure wish I could say I was coming home today, but I'm not.  Hopefully tomorrow, but we will see. I have to be fever-free for 24 hours before they'll let me leave.  After the night I had last night, that wasn't about to happen.  It started with a fever around 10 and turned into a bit of craziness as they also realized that my incision was infected.  They spent about 1.5 hours trying to get an IV in y arm (I have jumpy veins). I think they tried 4 or 5 places before they decided to call a nurse from anesthesia who finally got it in my hand. However, the medicine was painful going in it because it was hitting a small valve.  So then they had to put it in somewhere else.  (actually as I was typing this they just came to move it again and failed again...i feel like a pin cushion).  Finally around 1am I was able to go to bed after they got the antibiotic in me.  This morning the doctor came to check on me, which is when I found out that I wouldn't be going home because of the fever.  Then he checked my incision and decided to see if there was any drainage.  After painfully taking out half of my staples, he pushed on it and there came the drainage.  Now I have a small opening that they left open to keep it draining.  They had a wound nurse (I didn't even know they had those) come in and teach me how to clean it and "stuff" it with gauze.  So gross.  Anyway, it's extremely frustrating to have things keep happening but at least I'm still here at the hospital and not at home trying to deal with 2 kids and figuring out what's wrong.  So that's the newest update. Jackson is doing terrific.  Eating, sleeping, and pooping...what a life (:  Sophie is enjoying her time at Oma and Opa's house.  She got to spend some time with MK last night and may be hanging out with her BFF, Addy, tonight.  I think we're all ready to be home and figure out life as a family of 4 but know it'll be better if I'm healthy!

1 comment:

  1. Rachel,

    I am so sorry to hear that things have been a little rough. I will be praying for you! I can't even imagine how frustrating this must be for you. I hope you are able to rest and share some special time with Mike and Jackson in the midst of all that is going on.

    ReplyDelete